Sponsored Post: Apple, Chartbeat, Monitis, Netflix, Salesforce, Blizzard Entertainment, Cloudant, CopperEgg, Logentries, Wargaming.net, PagerDuty, Gengo, ScaleOut Software, Couchbase, MongoDB, BlueStripe, AiScaler, Aerospike, LogicMonitor, AppDynamics, ManageEngine, Site24x7
- Apple has multiple openings. Changing the world is all in a day's work at Apple. Imagine what you could do here.
- Mobile Services Software Engineer. The Emerging Technologies/Mobile Services team is looking for a proactive and hardworking software engineer to join our team. The team is responsible for a variety of high quality and high performing mobile services and applications for internal use. Please apply here.
- Senior Software Engineer. Join Apple's Internet Applications Team, within the Information Systems and Technology group, as a Senior Software Engineer. Be involved in challenging and fast paced projects supporting Apple's business by delivering Java based IS Systems. Please apply here.
- Sr Software Engineer. Join Apple's Internet Applications Team, within the Information Systems and Technology group, as a Senior Software Engineer. Be involved in challenging and fast paced projects supporting Apple's business by delivering Java based IS Systems. Please apply here.
- Senior Security Engineer. You will be the ‘tip of the spear’ and will have direct impact on the Point-of-Sale system that powers Apple Retail globally. You will contribute to implementing standards and processes across multiple groups within the organization. You will also help lead the organization through a continuous process of learning and improving secure practices. Please apply here.
- Quality Assurance Engineer - Mobile Platforms. Apple’s Mobile Services/Emerging Technology group is looking for a highly motivated, result-oriented Quality Assurance Engineer. You will be responsible for overseeing quality engineering of mobile server and client platforms and applications in a fast-paced dynamic environment. Your job is to exceed our business customer's aggressive quality expectations and take the QA team forward on a path of continuous improvement. Please apply here.
- Chartbeat measures and monetizes attention on the web. Our traffic numbers are growing, and so is our list of product and feature ideas. That means we need you, and all your unparalleled backend engineer knowledge to help up us scale, extend, and evolve our infrastructure to handle it all. If you've these chops: www.chartbeat.com/jobs/be, come join the team!
- The Salesforce.com Core Application Performance team is seeking talented and experienced software engineers to focus on system reliability and performance, developing solutions for our multi-tenant, on-demand cloud computing system. Ideal candidate is an experienced Java developer, likes solving real-world performance and scalability challenges and building new monitoring and analysis solutions to make our site more reliable, scalable and responsive. Please apply here.
- Sr. Software Engineer - Distributed Systems. Membership platform is at the heart of Netflix product, supporting functions like customer identity, personalized profiles, experimentation, and more. Are you someone who loves to dig into data structure optimization, parallel execution, smart throttling and graceful degradation, SYN and accept queue configuration, and the like? Is the availability vs consistency tradeoff in a distributed system too obvious to you? Do you have an opinion about asynchronous execution and distributed co-ordination? Come join us
- Java Software Engineers of all levels, your time is now. Blizzard Entertainment is leveling up its Battle.net team, and we want to hear from experienced and enthusiastic engineers who want to join them on their quest to produce the most epic customer-facing site experiences possible. As a Battle.net engineer, you'll be responsible for creating new (and improving existing) applications in a high-load, high-availability environment. Please apply here.
- Engine Programmer - C/C++. Wargaming|BigWorld is seeking Engine Programmers to join our team in Sydney, Australia. We offer a relocation package, Australian working visa & great salary + bonus. Your primary responsibility will be to work on our PC engine. Please apply here.
- Human Translation Platform Gengo Seeks Sr. DevOps Engineer. Build an infrastructure capable of handling billions of translation jobs, worked on by tens of thousands of qualified translators. If you love playing with Amazon’s AWS, understand the challenges behind release-engineering, and get a kick out of analyzing log data for performance bottlenecks, please apply here.
- UI Engineer– AppDynamics, founded in 2008 and lead by proven innovators, is looking for a passionate UI Engineer to design, architect, and develop our their user interface using the latest web and mobile technologies. Make the impossible possible and the hard easy. Apply here.
- Software Engineer - Infrastructure & Big Data – AppDynamics, leader in next generation solutions for managing modern, distributed, and extremely complex applications residing in both the cloud and the data center, is looking for a Software Engineers (All-Levels) to design and develop scalable software written in Java and MySQL for backend component of software that manages application architectures. Apply here.
Fun and Informative Events
- Your event here.
Cool Products and Services
- Now track your log activities with Log Monitor and be on the safe side! Monitor any type of log file and proactively define potential issues that could hurt your business' performance. Detect your log changes for: Error messages, Server connection failures, DNS errors, Potential malicious activity, and much more. Improve your systems and behaviour with Log Monitor.
- The NoSQL "Family Tree" from Cloudant explains the NoSQL product landscape using an infographic. The highlights: NoSQL arose from "Big Data" (before it was called "Big Data"); NoSQL is not "One Size Fits All"; Vendor-driven versus Community-driven NoSQL. Create a free Cloudant account and start the NoSQL goodness.
- Finally, log management and analytics can be easy, accessible across your team, and provide deep insights into data that matters across the business - from development, to operations, to business analytics. Create your free Logentries account here.
- CopperEgg. Simple, Affordable Cloud Monitoring. CopperEgg gives you instant visibility into all of your cloud-hosted servers and applications. Cloud monitoring has never been so easy: lightweight, elastic monitoring; root cause analysis; data visualization; smart alerts. Get Started Now.
- PagerDuty helps operations and DevOps engineers resolve problems as quickly as possible. By aggregating errors from all your IT monitoring tools, and allowing easy on-call scheduling that ensures the right alerts reach the right people, PagerDuty increases uptime and reduces on-call burnout—so that you only wake up when you have to. Thousands of companies rely on PagerDuty, including Netflix, Etsy, Heroku, and Github.
- Aerospike in-Memory NoSQL database is now Open Source. Read the news and see who scales with Aerospike. Check out the code on github!
- consistent: to be, or not to be. That’s the question. Is data in MongoDB consistent? It depends. It’s a trade-off between consistency and performance. However, does performance have to be sacrificed to maintain consistency? more.
- Do Continuous MapReduce on Live Data? ScaleOut Software's hServer was built to let you hold your daily business data in-memory, update it as it changes, and concurrently run continuous MapReduce tasks on it to analyze it in real-time. We call this "stateful" analysis. To learn more check out hServer.
- LogicMonitor is the cloud-based IT performance monitoring solution that enables companies to easily and cost-effectively monitor their entire IT infrastructure stack – storage, servers, networks, applications, virtualization, and websites – from the cloud. No firewall changes needed - start monitoring in only 15 minutes utilizing customized dashboards, trending graphs & alerting.
- BlueStripe FactFinder Express is the ultimate tool for server monitoring and solving performance problems. Monitor URL response times and see if the problem is the application, a back-end call, a disk, or OS resources.
- aiScaler, aiProtect, aiMobile Application Delivery Controller with integrated Dynamic Site Acceleration, Denial of Service Protection and Mobile Content Management. Cloud deployable. Free instant trial, no sign-up required. http://aiscaler.com/
- ManageEngine Applications Manager : Monitor physical, virtual and Cloud Applications.
- www.site24x7.com : Monitor End User Experience from a global monitoring network.
If any of these items interest you there's a full description of each sponsor below. Please click to read more...
Chartbeat is Hiring
Chartbeat measures and monetizes attention on the web. Through our editorial tools and advertising solutions, we power 80% of the top publishers in the US and media sites in 35+ countries with dashboards, browser overlay heads up displays, APIs, campaign reports and more.
We're constantly on the lookout for talented, awesome, and energetic folks to join our Chartteam in our growing-every-second Manhattan office. Our traffic numbers are growing, and so is our list of product and feature ideas. That means we need you, and all your unparalleled backend engineer knowledge to help up us scale, extend, and evolve our infrastructure to handle it all. See all of our current nerdtastic Chartteam members at chartbeat.com/about, and check out available job openings right here on this company page and on chartbeat.com/jobs.
Salesforce is seeking talented and experienced software engineers
The Salesforce.com Core Application Performance team is seeking talented and experienced software engineers to focus on system reliability and performance, developing solutions for our multi-tenant, on-demand cloud computing system. Ideal candidate is an experienced Java developer, likes solving real-world performance and scalability challenges and building new monitoring and analysis solutions to make our site more reliable, scalable and responsive. Expertise in server-side Java and application server performance, scalable data structures, efficient database access, and caching strategies is desired. You will get an opportunity to touch, change and tune the entire Salesforce.com stack from the network and servers to core application internals, with a view to peak performance.
- Sound Java development and OS fundamentals for scalable server applications (Efficient I/O, Memory Management, Concurrency, Collections, OpenJDK and JVM Internals to name some areas) ·
- Hands-on experience with Java application server performance
- Using, extending as needed, production Java profiling Tools ( for example: YourKit, Eclipse MAT, Linux Perf , Mission Control)
- Pragmatic approach to finding solutions for performance issues and craft fixes
- Sound computer science concepts in the area of algorithms, data structures, distributed systems, operations systems, caching, databases, etc.
- 5+ years of performance oriented development, analysis, troubleshooting, and optimization on large scale enterprise systems · BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Outstanding attention to detail and communication skills · Ability to work well within the team and also consult with influence across teams · Experience with production deployment performance in mission critical environments Would you like to apply to this job?
Please apply here.
Blizzard Entertainment is Hiring Java Software Engineers of All Levels
Java Software Engineers of all levels, your time is now. Blizzard Entertainment is leveling up its Battle.net team, and we want to hear from experienced and enthusiastic engineers who want to join them on their quest to produce the most epic customer-facing site experiences possible. As a Battle.net engineer, you'll be responsible for creating new (and improving existing) applications in a high-load, high-availability environment. This role focuses heavily on server-side web programming, while interfacing with our front-end design teams to create applications. The ideal candidate must be passionate about technology, the web, video games, and a desire to work in a creative, challenging, and rewarding environment.
Please apply here.
Get real-time alerting and visualizations for log management and analytics
Logentries provides the easiest-to-use, cloud-delivered log management and analytics service to developers, operations, and support teams. With immediate visibility into system behavior and application performance, users know when issues or business events occur, and can drill down quickly to understand why.
The new real-time log data dashboards give developers, IT operations and support teams up-to-the-second visibility across their entire software stack, and allows for quick identification of critical errors or important trending events. When users want to go further, they can easily drill down to the log event detail to validate and analyze the higher-level dashboard view.
- Up to 1GB/mo free data sent
- Visualized Search
- Real-time alerting
- Custom event tagging
- Live Tail
- Unlimited Users
- Sign up for a free account here
PagerDuty Helps You Increase Uptime & Decrease On-Call Burnout
PagerDuty is an incident management platform that helps companies with business-critical applications increase uptime, and helps operations engineers and DevOps teams avoid on-call burnout.
PagerDuty aggregates alerts from all of your monitoring systems, allowing you to view and manage problem reports in a central place. With our robust API, you can create custom integrations between a PagerDuty service and any monitoring tool. This means you can add alerting and incident management to virtually any system, including ticketing and chat. Centralizing incidents from all your systems with PagerDuty means you'll never miss an alert, and if a major incident occurs, we will consolidate alerts to reduce alerting noise.
PagerDuty also enables smart alerting so that you can notify the right people the first time, and resolve issues quickly. Personalized alert notifications guarantee you only get the alerts that you need, and customizable escalation policies ensure that the important issues are resolved. Plus, our endless on-call scheduling options allow you to create multiple schedules without limitations on users or location, so every team gets their preferred on-call rotation.
Wargaming|BigWorld is seeking Engine Programmer - C/C++
Wargaming|BigWorld is seeking Engine Programmers to join our team in Sydney, Australia. We offer a relocation package, Australian working visa & great salary + bonus. Your primary responsibility will be to work on our PC engine. The ideal candidate will have solid commercial experience in engine development including a thorough understanding of the technical side of game engine development with a wide range of experience working with C/C++, be highly innovative and driven by a desire to push cutting edge technology.
Please apply here.
consistent: to be, or not to be
That’s the question.
This is from a client’s point of view absent a partition.
Is data in MongoDB consistent?
MongoDB executes read and write operations on the primary node, and data is consistent. However, performance is limited because clients do not leverage secondary nodes. The first alternative is to execute read operations on all nodes, primary and secondary. Read performance is better, but data is no longer consistent because replication is asynchronous by default. The second alternative is synchronous replication. The data is consistent, but the performance cost is high.
- Medium Read Performance, Medium Write Performance
- Consistent Data
- Primary + Secondary (Asynchronous)
- High Read Performance, Medium Write Performance
- Eventually Consistent Data
- Primary + Secondary (Synchronous)
- High Read Performance, Low Write Performance
- Consistent Data
Data may or may not be consistent.
It’s a trade-off between consistent data and high performance. However, the enterprise can have its cake and eat it to. It doesn’t have to sacrifice consistency to maintain high performance.
Human Translation Platform Gengo Seeks Sr. DevOps Engineer
You: An engineer enthusiastic about building scalable infrastructures and solving software deployment challenges. You sleep better at night knowing the developers on your team have stable, efficient environments to code in.
Us: We’re a Tokyo-based Internet startup helping large and small online services Go Global through our API and unique translation platform. We love working with cosmopolitan people; most of our team have lived in another country before. Because of all the languages we speak — and code! — in we’re a tight-knit team that works hard, and has fun.
Together: We will build an infrastructure capable of handling billions of translation jobs, worked on by tens of thousands of qualified translators. If you love playing with Amazon’s AWS, understand the challenges behind release-engineering, and get a kick out of analyzing log data for performance bottlenecks all with the goal of making customers happier and translators more efficient, then we’re going to have fun!
Interested? Visit us at http://careers.gengo.com/apply/nBWnWP/Senior-Developer-Operations-Engineer.html for more information!
Do Continuous MapReduce on Live Data?
In an effort to make Hadoop more "real-time," an entire in-memory ecosystem has sprung up around it. The pace of change in this space makes it hard to keep up. Spark is a great tool for speeding up iterative batch processing and interactive query in Hadoop. Storm is a great tool for manipulating data as it streams by. ScaleOut hServer is often placed in these categories, but while hServer can do both of these tasks, it was built with a different purpose in mind. hServer was built to let you hold your daily business data in-memory, update it as it changes, and concurrently run continuous MapReduce tasks on it to analyze it in real-time. We call this "stateful" analysis. In short, it allows you to capture perishable business opportunities using the familiar MapReduce interface-- the same interface you use for your batch analytics. To learn more about hServer, check out www.scaleoutsoftware.com/hserver
Viber has replaced MongoDB with Couchbase Server
As one of the fastest growing VoIP services in the world, the challenge at Viber, their second-generation architecture was built on top of MongoDB shards. Next, Redis was added as a cache on top of the MongoDB shards to increase throughput. Still, MongoDB was unable to meet the high throughput requirements. Finally, a second Redis cluster was added independent of the MongoDB shards. The second-generation architecture was compromised of 150 MongoDB nodes and over 100 Redis nodes.
The third-generation architecture had to support 100,000+ operations per second in the short term and 1,000,000+ operations per second in the long term. Viber chose to build their third-generation architecture on top of Couchbase Server. The third-generation architecture is compromised of 100 to 120 Couchbase Server nodes.
Viber has been able to reduce the number of database nodes required while increasing the throughput with their third-generation architecture. For example, one of their Couchbase clusters (a ten node cluster) handles 100,000 to 200,000 operations per second with over 4.5 terabytes of data.
AppDynamics now offers a trial of its fully-featured application performance management product
AppDynamics offers an easy-to-use application performance monitoring solution for Java, .NET and PHP applications running in a live production environment. Companies like Netflix, Orbitz and Edmunds.com use AppDynamics to rapidly identify & troubleshoot root cause in their large, distributed applications.
Try AppDynamics for free with AppDynamics Lite, a free troubleshooting tool for Java & .NET apps, or a free trial of AppDynamics Pro, their fully-featured application performance management solution. Both Lite and a trial version of Pro are available for download from appdynamics.com and take only a few minutes to install. Get the free trial.
Test aiCache acceleration for free. No sign-up required.
We have set up aiCache on the Amazon Ec2 cloud to allow you to accelerate your website, test it, and optionally deploy in about 10 minutes. No sign-up required and its free.
You give us your website address and we spin up an AWS Micro instance running aiCache configured for your site. We then give you a simple configuration tool, if you want to further tune the Dynamic Caching.
You can then test your regular site and the accelerated site side by side in real time, from a third party testing service, complete with waterfall chart to tell you what is slow. With a few clicks you can tune the Dynamic Caching and re-run the test till you get the optimal config, unique to your site.
Want to deploy it? Great put in the AWS instance ID and Key and we will push it to your choice of live server.
Got everything perfect? Update your DNS or pull a copy to your datacenter.
Want help? We can have one of our engineers hop on and joint edit the config file with you, to work through tricky SSL and Session authentication. A do it yourself kinda engineer? Great context sensitive help is available of every line of the config file.
Want to save it for later, no problem. Want to download it for use on your own box, clicky-clicky free.
LogicMonitor is the Cloud-based IT Performance Monitoring Solution
LogicMonitor is the cloud-based IT performance monitoring solution that enables companies to easily and cost-effectively monitor their entire IT infrastructure stack – storage, servers, networks, applications, virtualization, and websites – from the cloud. No firewall changes needed - start monitoring in only 15 minutes utilizing customized dashboards, trending graphs & alerting.
AppDynamics Troubleshooting Java Performance for Free
AppDynamics is the very first free product designed for troubleshooting Java performance while getting full visibility in production environments. If you're an application owner and need to ensure high availability and performance--but not ready to purchase a full monitoring tool--AppDynamics Lite is build for you. Install in two minutes; be monitoring a Java Virtual Machine in 10 minutes.
ManageEngine Applications Manager
ManageEngine provides Enterprise IT Management suite of products. ManageEngine Applications Manager helps SaaS companies monitor their production applications and helps keep costs low.
There is out-of-the-box support for monitoring application servers, database servers, servers and web servers from a single web console. In addition to support for IBM Applications, Oracle Apps and Microsoft applications, there is deep support for Open Source Applications like JBoss, Memcached, LAMP stack etc. Pricing starts at $795 for monitoring 25 servers or applications. Learn more about the Application Performance Monitoring tool.
Site24x7.com (from ZOHO) is a Website and Web Application Monitoring service. It helps you ensure your shopping carts and other web transactions work. It also helps you monitor the performance of your websites from a global point of presence. You can Sign Up for a Free Trial. The Professional Edition starts at $1 / Month. Learn more about the Website Monitoring Service.
If you are interested in a sponsored post for an event, job, or product, please take a look at the advertising section .