Hey, it's HighScalability time:
- $21 Billion: Google spend on datacenters
- Quotable Quotes:
- @lintool: Jeff Dean at XLDB: Largest Google Bigtable cluster: ~100s PB data; sustained: 30M ops/sec; 100+ GB/s I/O (gmail?)
- @neil_conway: On a quick skim, the most surprising thing about the F1 paper is how conventional of an MPP database it is.
- @Kufat: PSA: 1024 bytes = 1 KB. If someone says it's "1 KiB," they are a Cylon, replicant, or shapeshifter, and must be destroyed forthwith.
- @mikeleeorg: "If you only do things where you know the answer in advance, your company goes away." - Jeff Bezos
- @andybritcliffe: Keynotes are always good for stats. Amazon are deloying software updates every 16 seconds #awssummit #impressive
- @adrianco: last March numbers on US fixed access traffic was Netflix 32.25% and Youtube 17.11%, only takes two to get to 49.36%
- @cpurdy: OH: "Objective-C is the lack of a type system of C smushed together with the s****y performance of Smalltalk."
- A Focus on Efficiency. A 70 page paper on how Internet.org will accomplish its goal of providing Internet access to the 5 billion people who don't currently have it. The paper is in two parts. The first part describes how Facebook will essentially become the platform supporting these new users. The idea is to create a 10x improvement reduction in the underlying costs of delivering data, and a 10x reduction of data usage by apps. The strategies are basically taken out of Facebook's playbook, so the paper is an excellent guide to all Facebook has developed over the years. The second part of the paper is Qualcomm presenting an overview of their plan to expand global wireless capacity by 1000 times. It's an audacious gambit to be sure.
- Another step in the Google vs Oracle divorce proceedings. Google Waves Goodbye To MySQL In Favor Of MariaDB. Using Golang over Java was another important step. It takes time for a supertanker to change direction, but it can be done.
- If you like ideas made pictures then you'll like Do you know Cassandra? For a comic the humor is so subtle I didn't get it, but it did talk about quorums and stuff.
Don't miss all that the Internet has to say on Scalability, click below and become eventually consistent with all scalability knowledge...