Hey, it's HighScalability time:
With tensegrity landing balls we'll be the coolest aliens to ever land on Mars.
- 6-8Tbps: Apple’s live video stream; $65B: crowdfunding's contribution to the global economy
- Quotable Quotes:
- @bodil: I asked @richhickey and he said "a transducer is just a pre-fused Kleisli arrows in the list monad." #strangeloop
- @lusis: If you couldn’t handle runit maybe you shouldn’t be f*cking with systemd. You’ll shoot your g*ddamn foot off.
- Rob Neely: Programming model stability + Regular advances in realized performance = scientific discovery through computation
- @BenedictEvans: Maybe 5bn PCs have been sold so far. And 17bn mobile phones.
- @xaprb: "There's no word for the opposite of synergy" @jasonh at #surgecon
- The SSD Endurance Experiment. The good news: You don't have to worry about writing a lot of data to SSDs anymore. That bad news: When your SSD does die your data may not be safe. Good discussion on Hacker News.
- Don't have a lot of money? Don't worry. Being cheap can actually create cool: Teleportation was used in Star Trek because the budget couldn't afford expensive shots of spaceships landing on different planets.
- Not so crazy after all? Google’s Internet “Loon” Balloons Will Ring the Globe within a Year.
- Before cloud and after cloud as told through a car crash.
- Cluster around dear readers, videos from MesosCon 2014 are now available.
- From Backbone To React: Our Experience Scaling a Web Application. This seems a lot like the approach Facebook uses in their Android apps. As things get complex move the logic to a top level centralized manager and then distribute changes down to components that are not incrementally changed, they are replaced entirely.
- Deciding between GAE or EC2? This might help: Running a website: Google App Engine vs. Amazon EC2. AWS is hard to set up. Both give you a lot for free. GAE is not customizable. On AWS use whatever languages and software you want. GAE once written your software will scale. If you have a sysadmin or your project requires specific software go with AWS. If you are small or have a static site go with GAE.
- Free the Web: Sometimes, I feel like blaming money. When money comes into play, people start to fear. They fear losing their money, and they fear losing their visitors. And so they focus on making buttons easily clickable (which inevitably narrows down places where they can go), and they focus on making sites that are safe but predictably usable.
Don't miss all that the Internet has to say on Scalability, click below and become eventually consistent with all scalability knowledge (which means this post has many more items to read so please keep on reading)...