Hey, it's HighScalability time:
It's a strange world...exotic, gigantic molecules Fit Inside Each Other like Russian nesting dolls
- 1.39 billion: Facebook Monthly Active Users; $18 billion profit: Apple in 3 months; 200 million: Kik users; 11.2 billion: age of the oldest known solar system; 3 billion: videos viewed per day on Facebook
- Quotable Quotes:
- @kevinroose: This dude wins SF bingo. RT @caro: An Uber driver is Airbnb'ing the trunk of his Tesla for $85/night.
- @BenedictEvans: Only 16% of Facebook DAUs aren't using it on mobile
- @rezendi: Yo's Law: "in the 21st century tech industry, satire and reality are not merely indistinguishable but actually interchangeable."
- Brent Ozar: I recommend that people back up data, not servers.
- @AnnaPawlicka: "Shared State is the Root of All Evil"
- Peter Lawrey: micro-day - about 1/12 of a second. micro-century - 51.3 minutes. femto-parsec - about 30 metres.
- TapirLiu: OH: docker is like a condom to protect your computer from Node.
- @DigitCurator: "The Next Decade In Storage": Resistive RAM promises better scaling, efficiency, and 1000x endurance of flash memory
- @BenedictEvans: At the end of 2014 Apple had ~650-675m live iOS devices. With zero unit sales growth, 700-720m by end 2015. Consumer PCs in use - 7-800m
- @MailChimp: We sent 14.1 billion emails in December, including 741 million on Cyber Monday.
- @mjpt777: That's in the past. We can now do 20 million per second :-) per stream.
- @bradwilson: Conclusions: 1. Ethernet over power does not perform as well as WiFi (??) 2. Ethernet over power hates being shared among multiple PCs
- @mjpt777: Specialized Evolution of the General-Purpose CPU - note that performance per watt is approx doubling per generation.
- @nighitingale: "The Earth is 4.6 billion years old. Scaling to 46 years, humans have been here 4 hours, the industrial..."
- Joseph Campbell: The hero’s journey always begins with the call. One way or another, a guide must come to say, “Look, you’re in Sleepy Land. Wake. Come on a trip."
- Frank Herbert: the most persistent principles of the universe were accident and error.
- Will Facebook ever figure out this mobile thing? Not long ago that was the big question. We have an answer. In the fourth quarter, the percentage of its advertising revenue from mobile devices increased to 69%, up from 66% in the third quarter and 53% a year earlier. Mobile daily active users were 745 million on average for December 2014, an increase of 34 percent year-over-year.
- The power of smart: Facebook’s Powerful Ad Tools Grew Its Revenue 25X Faster Than User Count. Facebook might be running out of people, but they aren't running out of ways of monetizing those people. Math grows faster than users.
- The Cathedral of Computation by Ian Bogost. Agree in part. There does seem to be an uncritical acceptance of algorithms, as if because they enliven machines they are some how pure and objective, when the opposite is the case. Algorithms are made for human purposes by teams of humans and show the biases and hubris of their makers. And like all creatures, algorithms should be subject to skepticism, law, and review.
- We have many long running debates in tech. Server side vs client side rendering is just one of them. A thoughtful analysis: Tradeoffs in server side and client side rendering by Malte Ubl. Bret Slatkin boldly claims: Experimentally verified: "Why client-side templating is wrong". He concludes: I hope never to render anything server-side ever again. I feel more comfortable in making that choice than ever thanks to all this data. I see rare occasions when server-side rendering could make sense for performance, but I don't expect to encounter many of those situations in the future.
Don't miss all that the Internet has to say on Scalability, click below and become eventually consistent with all scalability knowledge (which means this post has many more items to read so please keep on reading)...