And by hot I also mean temperature. Summer has arrived. It's sizzling here in Silicon Valley. Thank you air conditioning!
- Scale the web by appointing a Crawler Czar? Tom Foremski has the idea that Google should open up their index so sites wouldn't have to endure the constant pounding by ravenous crawler bots. Don MacAskill of SmugMug estimates 50% of our web server CPU resources are spent serving crawlers. What a waste. How this would all work with real-time feeds, paid feeds (Twitter, movies, ...), etc. is unknown, but does it make sense for all that money to be spent on extracting the same data over and over again?
- Tweets of Gold:
- jamesurquhart: Key to applications is architecture. Key for infrastructure supporting archs is configurability. Configurability==features.
- tjake: People who choose their datastore based oh hearsay and not their own evaluation are doomed.
- b6n: No global lock ever goes unpunished
- MichaelSurtees: scalability, systems & process feed each other right?
- jamesgolick: Statements like: "NoSQL database systems are designed for scalability." make me sad.
- agastiya: Focus on stability and features first, scalability and manageability second, per-unit performance last of all. This is a quote from Jeff Darcy