You don't even have to make a bid, Randy Shoup, an eBay Distinguished Architect, gives this presentation on how eBay scales, for free. Randy has done a fabulous job in this presentation and in other talks listed at the end of this post getting at the heart of the principles behind scalability. It's more about ideas of how things work and fit together than a focusing on a particular technology stack.
In case you weren't sure, eBay is big, with lots of: users, data, features, and change...
- Over 89 million active users worldwide
- 190 million items for sale in 50,000 categories
- Over 8 billion URL requests per day
- Hundreds of new features per quarter
- Roughly 10% of items are listed or ended every day
- In 39 countries and 10 languages
- 70 billion read / write operations / day
- Processes 50TB of new, incremental data per day
- Analyzes 50PB of data per day