Hey, it's HighScalability time:
Test your sense of scale. Is this image of something microscopic or macroscopic? Find out.
- Quotable Quotes:
- fidotron: It feels like we've gone in one big circle, where first we move the DB on to a separate machine for performance, yet now more computation will go back to being done nearer the data (like Hadoop) and we'll try to pretend it's all just one giant computer again.
- @pbailis: Building systems from the ground up with distribution, scale, and availability in mind is much easier than retrofitting single-node systems.
- @merv: #awsreinvent Jassy: Netflix has 10,000s of EC2 instances. They are the final deployment scenario: All In. And others are coming.
- Edward Capriolo: YARN... Either it is really complicated or I have brain damage
- @djspiewak: Eventually, Node.js will reinvent the “IO promise” and realize that flattening your callback effects is actually quite nice.
- @jimblomo: A Note on Distributed Computing advised against treating remote calls as local functions, I advise against treating the cloud as datacenter
- Instagram: A Brief, Rapid History of Scaling Instagram (with a tiny team). Have a bigger team. Do simple first. Reduce moving parts. Test and monitor everything. Use Chef earlier. Match the team with the tools. Simple isn't always hacky. Rocketship scaling has been somewhat democratized.
- Most of your hard drives will live longer than a mouse (4 years) says Backblaze, the mad scientists of mass storage.
Don't miss all that the Internet has to say on Scalability, click below and become eventually consistent with all scalability knowledge...