Hey, it's HighScalability time:
- 100 Billion - Neurons in The Human Brain, As Many Cells as Stars in the Milky Way; 10TB - Tumblr memcache
- Quoteable Quotes:
- @thoward3: OH: "We make scalability a possibility.. You know, we make 'scalapossibilty'. "
- Tesla: When wireless is perfectly applied the whole earth will be converted into a huge brain, which in fact it is, all things being particles of a real and rhythmic whole. We shall be able to communicate with one another instantly, irrespective of distance. Not only this, but through television and telephony we shall see and hear one another as perfectly as though we were face to face, despite intervening distances of thousands of miles; and the instruments through which we shall be able to do this will be amazingly simple compared with our present telephone. A man will be able to carry one in his vest pocket.
- @ADTELLIGENCE: Data on the internet: Data of all of 1993 = Data of 1 second in 2013
- Nassim Taleb: Man-made complex systems tend to develop cascades and runaway chains of reactions that decrease, even eliminate, predictability and cause outsized events. So the modern world may be increasing in technological knowledge, but, paradoxically, it is making things a lot more unpredictable.
- The Bw-Tree: A B-tree for New Hardware Platforms: We believe that latch free techniques and state changes that avoid update-in-place are the keys to high performance on modern processors.
- @rvirding: WhatsApp "Bigger Than Twitter" With Over 200M Monthly Active Users, 8B Inbound And 12B and they use #erlang
- Jasper Fforde: There’s a lot to be said about merely having a hazy idea of what’s going on but generally reaching the right outcome by following broad policy outlines. In fact, I’ve a sneaky suspicion that it’s the only way of getting things done. Once the horror and unpredictability of unintended consequences gets a hold, even the best-intentioned and noblest of plans generally descend to mayhem, confusion and despair.
- @enygma: I'm starting to think the Twitter unfollow bug is actually their way to handle scalability
- @ndubaz: Spent last 2 days training with the Army's latest virtual trainers. More skeptical than ever of scalability and utility for light forces.
- @bernardgolden: Airbnb workflow control system was 10K (!) lines of bash script.
- Scaling Deployment at Etsy by Daniel Schauenberg. 1.49 billion page views, 4,215,169 items sold, $94.7 million of goods sold, 22+ million members, 800,000+ active shops. LAMMP + Monolithic App + No Branching + Frequent deployment + lots more.
Don't miss all that the Internet has to say on Scalability, click below and become eventually consistent with all scalability knowledge...