Hey, it's HighScalability time:
- 0: # of Google Readers; 2.5 billion/day: new pieces of content added to Facebook; 2.7 billion/day: likes added to Facebook; 7PB/month: photos added to Facebook
- Quotable Quotes:
- @cwgem: It seems like cutting down API access is the stock scalability answer these days
- @abenik: @Prismatic surfaced this article on their architecture for me. How meta.
- @NewsBlur: The waters are rocky now, but take note that I have some time to get things right. I'm working this week to get things stable, then scale.
- @Pinboard: Just learned that Google Reader no longer offers direct JSON export. I guess they held the annual "What should we ruin next?" staff retreat
- @DEVOPS_BORAT: You can not able have unlimit scalability without unlimit outage.
- Jeff: Amazon RDS Scales Up - Provision 3 TB and 30,000 IOPS Per DB Instance
- @migueldeicaza: Google recently hired all of the Twitter's scalability team to work on Google IO checkout.
- @skamille: Interesting to consider the greatly diminished role of networked file systems in modern distributed computing
- @vambenepe: The server huggers have regrouped. Now they’re VM huggers, ironically. Fighting PaaS with all their might.
- @jezhumble: If the developers can't self-service everything they need programmatically through an API, it's not a private cloud.
- @Bremmel: Foursquare users crawl the real world like Google's spiders crawl the web - Dennis Crowley
- @mollstam: SimCity's API (and I'm guessing region storage) is on Amazon. How can it not be auto-scaling? How can it take three days to add servers?
- @josephmartz: Scalability gurus: It's about low coupling merging with high cohesion. More encapsulation and f*ck scaling out. I just want one #node.
- @SQLSniper: great recipe for #sqlserver scaling from @GlennAlanBerry precon :) "scale up is like pets, scale out is like cattle"
- @NewsBlur's tweet feed is a great blow by blow of the crush that happened when Google Reader became a dead app walking. A signup a second...Now fetching millions of new feeds hourly...Suspended free accounts, premium accounts only....Prices increased...Redis suffered from memory corruption...Moved from one app server to 6...Dropped SES for Mail Gun...Hosting provider died...Bringing up PostgreSQL read slaves...DB server upgrades...Introduction of HAProxy...More app servers.
Don't miss all that the Internet has to say on Scalability, click below and become eventually consistent with all scalability knowledge...