Hey, it's HighScalability time:
- 1 Billion/Month : Active Mostly Mobile YouTube Users
- Quotable Quotes:
- @NeckbeardHacker: "Wait...he reimplemented swatch and rsync in chef, node and mongo?""Yup." "......Why?""Go easy on him...he's a Ninjipsterstar."
- @b6n: Scale myth #1: Your service is a unique snowflake.
- @polotek: If you don't care about bugs, design or scalability, it only takes 2 days to build anything.
- @NasHope: Even with the rapid scalability of Rackspace, I've still waited for over an hour for Dominos to actually deliver my pizza.
- George Dyson: Computers may turn out to be less important as an end product of technological evolution and more important as catalysts facilitating evolutionary processes through the incubation and propagation of self-replicating filaments of code.
- George Dyson: Von Neumann believed that all fields of science, including pure mathematics, derive their sustenance through contact with real problems in the physical world.
- For those of us on the outside looking in, Sebastian Stadil gives a rare view from the cool kids table with an early look at How Google Compute Engine stacks up to Amazon EC2. Is it as wonderful as we all imagined? The differences: AWS has a much richer set of services; GCE is on-demand only, so AWS can be cheaper; GCE faster disk; GCE faster network IO, especially between datacenters; GCE faster boot times, GCE can mount read-only partitions multiple machines; GCE shares images across regions. Sebastian ponders what new architectures Google's feature set will encourage to flourish? Interesting was the idea that because the inter-datacenter network IO is so fast it will be possible to put read slaves in multiple datacenters, replicate in real-time.
Don't miss all that the Internet has to say on Scalability, click below and become eventually consistent with all scalability knowledge...