Hey, it's HighScalability time:
Test your sense of scale. Is this image of something microscopic or macroscopic? Find out.
- 80 billion: Netflix logging events per day; 10 petabytes: Ancestry.com data; six million: Foursquare checkins per day;
- Quotable Quotes:
- George Lakoff: What can't all your thoughts be conscious? Because consciousness is linear and your brain is parallel. The linear structure of consciousness could never keep up.
- @peakscale: "Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems" - Scott Adams
- @kiwipom: “Immutability is magic pixie dust that makes distributed systems work” - Adrian Cockcroft
- @LachM: Netflix: SPEED at SCALE = breaks EVERYTHING. #yow13
- Joe Landman: … you get really annoyed at the performance of grep on file IO (seriously folks? 32k or page size sized IO? What is this … 1992?) so you rewrite it in 20 minute in Perl, and increase the performance by 5-8x or so.
- @rjrogers87: "Goldman Sacs has 36,000 employees, 6,000 are developers. They support these folks w/half-a million cores. #GartnerDC”
- @KentLangley: Dear Amazon AWS, Please STOP with the aggressive reserved instances sales push. I use on-demand ON PURPOSE.
- Good story of how nearby.lk moved from Google App Engine to EC2, nodejs, and mongodb. Migration decision based on: ease of development, performance and cost. GAE suffers from slow database operatations, costly over provisioning of instances, slow startup times lead to timeouts, low 1MB memcache size limit, bulk loads and exports of data a nightmare, search is slow. Like about nodejs: one programming language on client and server, portability, fast. Like from GAE: could see everything in one place with the management console, easy deployment, easy to create new code and test it out.
- Wikipedia's Order of Magnitude page: The pressure of a human bite is about 1/9th of the atmospheric pressure on Venus. The fastest bacterium on earth is just outstripping the fastest glacier. A square meter of sunshine in the spring imparts about 1 horsepower.
Don't miss all that the Internet has to say on Scalability, click below and become eventually consistent with all scalability knowledge...