Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 8:03AM
- The Cost of Latency by James Hamilton. James summarizes latency info from Steve Souder, Greg Linden, and Marissa Mayer. Speed [is] an undervalued and under-discussed asset on the web.
- Dynamo - Part I: a followup and re-rebuttals. Dynamo under attack as having Design flaws and the resounding rebuttal in response.
- Programming Bits and Atoms. Thinking about programming and scaling as a problem in physics. Absolutely fascinating and inspiring.
- Scaling Servers with the Cloud: Amazon S3. Build a static site using S3 for pennies. An oldly but still a goody idea.
- Are Wireless Road Trains the Cure for Traffic Congestion? The concept of road trains--up to eight vehicles zooming down the road together--has long been considered a faster, safer, and greener way of traveling long distances by car.
- Erlang at Facebook by Eugene Letuchy. How Facebook uses Erlang to implement Chat, AIM Presence, and Chat Jabber support.
- Yahoo Open Sources Traffic Server. Traffic Server enables the session management, authentication, configuration management, load balancing, and routing for an entire cloud computing stack.
- How Complex Systems Fail by Richard Cook. Being a Short Treatise on the Nature of Failure; How Failure is Evaluated; How Failure is Attributed to Proximate Cause; and the Resulting New Understanding of Patient Safety
- Heroku vs EngineYard Cloud vs Joyent by Eliot Sykes. Rails hosting options head-to-head.