- Imo is Hiring an Operations Engineer for a startup web-based service supporting multiple IM protocols.
- Appirio is hiring 5 core product engineers for one of Silicon's Valley's "most promising startups".
- Tuenti is hiring both a FrontEnd and BackEnd Engineer.
- Undertone is looking for a Software Engineer and a QA Engineer.
Fun and Informative Events
- Announcing My Webinar On December 14th: What Should I Do? Choosing SQL, NoSQL Or Both For Scalable Web Applications
Cool Products and Services
- Learn how Kabam enlisted Joyent to be the cloud environment for its growing game empire. http://www.joyent.com/customers/kabam/
- CloudSigma. Instantly scalable European cloud servers.
- ManageEngine Applications Manager : Monitor physical, virtual and Cloud Applications.
- www.site24x7.com : Monitor End User Experience from a global monitoring network.
Announcing December 14th Webinar: What Should I Do? Choosing SQL, NoSQL Or Both For Scalable Web Applications
The number of database options facing developers these days is almost overwhelming. In response, the number one question I get at HighScalability.com is: "What should I do?"
Should I go neo-traditional and stay with MySQL and memcached? How can I scale like Facebook without cost or effort? Should I use a graph, key-value, relational, or document data model? Should I deploy in the cloud or in a colo? What consistency model should I use? Can I use transactions anymore? Can I make queries anymore? Who programs these things? Who support these things?
And that's just a start. It can all be so very confusing. In the past there was a standard set of options. A few popular relational databases ruled and your job as a programmer was to force the square peg of your problem into the round hole of the relational database. Not anymore.
In this webinar what I hope to do is help you figure out how to answer the "What should I do" question for yourself, like what I try to do in my blog, only more conversational. We'll take a use case approach. I promise we won't spend 20 minutes on CAP or other eyes-glazing-over topics. We'll try to look at what you need to do and use your requirements to figure out which product, or more likely, set of products to use.
Please register here.
Imo is Hiring an Operations Engineer
Based in Palo Alto, CA, imo is a small startup founded and funded by one of the first ten employees at Google. Our current team consists of top TopCoders, ACM ICPC World Finalists, and medalists of the International Olympiads in Informatics. We work on challenging projects that we choose from the ground up that have direct impact on our users. Our web-based service allows users to hold text, voice, and video chats on multiple instant messaging protocols. Currently supported protocols include AIM, Facebook Chat, Google Talk, ICQ, MSN, MySpace, Skype, and Yahoo Messenger. The service is free and requires no user-registration or sign-up. Currently, we have over one million unique accounts active on imo.im over a 30 day period. We are seeking to fill positions in operations engineering, software engineering, marketing, and design. We also have internships available year-round. The operations engineer position may be most relevant to high scalability readers, so it is included below.
Operations Engineer We are looking for a Jack or Jill of all trades—software engineer, network engineer, and systems/database administrator—to help us build, run, and maintain the systems that power imo.im. Requirements:
- BS/MS/PhD in computer science, or equivalent
- Solid understanding of Linux
- Scripting knowledge with Shell, Bash, and Python
- Ability to lift/move ~30 lbs equipment on a regular basis
- Licensed and willing to drive machines and make frequent trips to data center
- Excellent knowledge of TCP/IP
- Experience in data center hardware deployment and building scalable infrastructure
- Making sure imo's servers are up and running at all times
- Designing and deploying efficient and cost-effective load balancing systems
- Predicting data center growth
- Tracking data center issues
- Automating, streamlining, and documenting data center processes
- Writing and maintaining installation scripts
- Debugging hardware, network, and Linux related issues
- Installing and troubleshooting machines, switches, routers, etc.
- Competitive salary plus $30k starting bonus and stock options
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Snacks and weekly lunches
- Gym membership
- Conference stipend
- $500/month housing stipend for living in close proximity to our office
To learn more about this opportunity and others see: https://imo.im/jobs.html#operations
At Appirio We're hiring our next 5 core product engineers for one of Silicon's Valley's "mostpromising startups"
Appirio is looking for a handful of hardcore engineers to help us build products to accelerate enterprise adoption of the cloud. We're building the industry's first "cloud broker" technology that will bring together an enterprise's SaaS silos by providing cross-cloud identity, security, data integration, and solution frameworks... all delivered as a service.
Sound interesting? We think so-- we're a Sequoia-backed, Silicon Valley startup, with a small core engineering team passionate about shaping how companies make this once-in-a-generation shift to a cloud-based enterprise architecture.
Appirio is looking for killer engineers who have experience with middleware and web solutions and want to change the way enterprises use these technologies to create solutions in a cloud world. It’ s a fast-moving environment that puts your work in the middle of the cloud revolution.
Specific Duties Include:
- Own and develop core components in Appirio CloudWorks
- Develop and work on approaches to topics like security, performance, scalability, and manageability
- Code primarily in Java
- Work with Spring DM (Eclipse Virgo), Spring Integration Framework and other open source middleware components
- Support the work of solutions teams who are building on top of your CloudWorks core components
We launched our product in September-- now we're aggressively looking to build out our core team. Apply here, or email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org-- tell us why you want to connect the cloud and we’ ll buy you a cup of coffee here at our San Mateo headquarters.
To learn more about this opportunity and others see: http://www.appirio.com/company/cloudworks-jobs.php
Tuenti is hiring both a FrontEnd and BackEnd Engineer
Tuenti is seeking talented engineers to build a fast, reliable data management layer to power Tuenti. This is a full-time position based in our office in central Madrid.
- Design, implement, and maintain data layer of Tuenti and its services, including validation, storage, and access
- Apply new data management techniques to support site growth
- Optimize application performance, with respect to CPU utilization, network traffic, data storage size, response time, and concurrency
- Write and maintain tests of the data access logic
- Write documentation for code and tests
- Analyze and identify bottlenecks in system performance
- Debug issues based on user report
Tuenti is seeking talented both junior and senior engineers to join our Frontend Engineering team. This team develops and maintains all parts of the Tuenti application stack that touch a web browser, covering the full communication flow between the end user and the Tuenti Backend API. Frontend engineers are the engineers who are closest to the product development of Tuenti. Interaction with product management and user support personnel is part of the daily work. The challenges faced every day in extending and improving the Tuenti user experience also require vast knowledge in how to produce highly maintainable and extensible object-oriented code . A frontend engineer must feel the need to build a product that works fast and flawlessly, be passionate about eliminating any problems as soon as they are discovered, and take pride in doing so.
- Implement and maintain automated tests of the Tuenti user interface
- Write PHP-doc style documentation of all methods and classes implemented
- Analyse and eliminate security vulnerabilities
- Debug issues on the web and mobile websites, based on user reports
- Participate in product development and feature design processes.
Undertone is looking for a Software Engineer and QA Engineer
Senior Software Engineer - C++/Ruby/SQL
This position is a senior hands-on C++/Ruby/MySQL developer reporting to the CTO. You will be a senior member of an advanced technology team focused on developing high transaction volume/ultra low latency web server technologies. These servers drive real time, targeted ad placements on premier websites.
Software Engineer - C++/Ruby/SQL
This position is a hands-on C++/Ruby/MySQL developer. You will be a member of an advanced technology team focused on developing high transaction volume/ultra low latency web server technologies. These servers drive real time, targeted ad placements on premier websites.
QA Engineer – SQL/WEB Software
This is an excellent opportunity to get in on the ground floor of the development of our new proprietary web data server technology. You will be responsible for testing new web server applications, writing test plans and test cases, automating commonly executed test scenarios, performance and load testing.
Learn How Kabam Enlisted Joyent to be the Cloud Environment for its Growing Game Empire
Kabam (formerly Watercooler, Inc.) is a leading developer of social games on Facebook and other social networks. The company was founded to connect millions of sports and TV fans through its extensive network of online fan communities, and has extended that social product expertise to create innovative and engaging social games. By deploying its infrastructure on the Joyent cloud, Kabam is able to eliminate many issues common in social networking-based games.
- Instantly Scalable European Cloud Servers. Create virtual servers in the cloud that are fully scalable and adaptive. Control your servers via our web console or API. CloudSigma gives more power and control over your server infrastructure.
- Keep control, increase scalability. Subscribe for capacity or pay as you go; with CloudSigma we give you the power and control you need.
- Competitive Innovative Pricing. Discover transparent pricing and a flexible billing model. Purchase what you need when you need it without resource bundling. We let you purchase CPU, RAM, Storage and bandwidth independently. Create your perfect combination that’s right for you.
- 14-day Free Trial. Try our cloud computing products free.
More information at CloudSigma.
ManageEngine Applications Manager
ManageEngine provides Enterprise IT Management suite of products. ManageEngine Applications Manager helps SaaS companies monitor their production applications and helps keep costs low.
There is out-of-the-box support for monitoring application servers, database servers, servers and web servers from a single web console. In addition to support for IBM Applications, Oracle Apps and Microsoft applications, there is deep support for Open Source Applications like JBoss, Memcached, LAMP stack etc. Pricing starts at $795 for monitoring 25 servers or applications. Learn more about the Application Performance Monitoring tool.
Site24x7.com (from ZOHO) is a Website and Web Application Monitoring service. It helps you ensure your shopping carts and other web transactions work. It also helps you monitor the performance of your websites from a global point of presence. You can Sign Up for a Free Trial. The Professional Edition starts at $1 / Month. Learn more about the Website Monitoring Service.
If you are interested in a sponsored post for an event, job, or product, please take a look at the advertising section.