- Sr. Operations Engineer and Web Operations Engineer at Etsy
- Get Your High Scalability Fix at Digg
- Huffington Post: Linux System Administrator
- Velocity Web Performance and Operations Conference - Fast by Default
- Social Developer Summit (HighScalability.com readers save 15% with discount code SDSHS)
We are seeking a seasoned web operations engineer to join our ops team, to help build and maintain Etsy's fast-growing infrastructure. You'd be on a team of infrastructure supernerds, working extremely closely with Etsy Engineering to come up with solutions to complex problems.
- Building and maintaining Etsy's infrastructure, from installed iron to production
- Taking part in a 24x7 on-call rotation
- Tightly cooperating and collaborating with development, product, community and customer care
We are seeking a Web Operations Engineer to join our ops team, to help build and maintain Etsy's fast-growing infrastructure. You'd be on a team of infrastructure supernerds, working extremely closely with Etsy Engineering to help provide the technical solutions to complex problems.
• Building and maintaining Etsy's infrastructure, from installed iron to production
• Taking part in a 24x7 on-call rotation
• Performing daily support tasks such as but not limited to management of backups, ldap user accounts, creating virtual servers, svn permissions etc.
• Supporting the senior operations staff and their project based work.
• Tightly cooperating and collaborating with development, product, community and customer care
Get Your High Scalability Fix at Digg
Interested in working on cutting-edge high-scale infrastructure at Digg? We're making a big investment in scaling and have committed to the NoSQL (Not only SQL) path with Cassandra. We're using other open-source infrastructure to help us scale including Hadoop, RabbitMQ, Zookeeper, Thrift, HDFS and Lucene. We're rewriting Digg from the ground up and we need amazing developers to join our world-class team. If you think you are up for the challenge, or you know someone who might be, take a look at our jobs page for more information.
Huffington Post: Linux System Administrator
- 5+ years experience administering Red Hat and CentOS Linux systems required.
- 5+ years experience administering Microsoft Windows Servers required.
- Experience implementing and maintaining a computer farm with high availability.
- Extensive experience with VMware ESX/ESXi..
- Proficiency and experience with SAN and iSCSI technologies is required (NetApp preferred).
- Experience with open source packages, including but not limited to, Cacti, MRTG, Nagios and OSSIM.
- Solid knowledge of load balancers and Cisco networking equipment.
- Experience in analysis and system performance tuning as well as troubleshooting network problems.
- Solid knowledge of protocols such as DNS, HTTP, LDAP, SMTP and SNMP.
- Fluent in Perl and Shell Scripting, with experience implementing automation and monitoring using shell scripting and other related tools
- Experience with Apache and Tomcat and MySQL.
- BS or above in Software Engineering, MIS, or equivalent job experience.
Velocity Web Performance and Operations Conference - Fast by Default
Web performance and operations is an emerging discipline which requires incredible breadth, focusing less on specific technologies and more on how the entire system works together. While people often specialize in particular components, great engineers and developers understand web performance and operations in relation to the whole. The best are able to fly to the 50,000 foot view and see the entire system in motion and then zoom in to microscopic levels and examine the tiny movements of an individual part.
Now in its third year, Velocity—the Web Performance and Operations conference from O'Reilly Media—is the premier conference that:
- Provides your web ops and dev teams direct access to the training, technologies and skills that will have the most immediate impact on your bottom line
- Gives you the keys to the "fast by default" toolkit for automating your infrastructure
- Throws aside the silos and redefines your team's understanding of the whole industry ecosystem
- Gives you direct face time with the biggest rock stars in the industry and access to the biggest network of your peers
- Shows off the biggest gallery of "show me now" case studies
Social Developer Summit
The Social Developer Summit, produced by mediabistro.com and All Facebook, will take place June 29, 2010 in San Francisco, CA and HighScalability.com readers save 15% with discount code SDSHS! Read on for more info about the event.
- Luke Rajlich, Architect Engineer, FarmVille
- Arin Sarkissian, Core Infrastructure Team Lead, Digg.com
- Brett Durrett, VP of Engineering and Operations, IMVU
- Leah Culver, Co-Founder/Lead Developer, Pownce & iPhone Developer for Plancast
- Mike Malone, Infrastructure Engineer, SimpleGeo
- John Smart, Chief Architect, Zoosk
- Jia Shen, CTO & Founder, RockYou
- Pete Warden, Founder, Mailana Inc.
- Jodee Rich, CEO, PeopleBrowsr
- Poornima Vijayashanker, Founder & CEO, BizeeBee.com
- Ian Swanson, Founder & CEO, Sometrics
- Jon Phenix, Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Nexage
- Sean Callahan, Co-Founder, TweetPhoto
- Jason Oberfest, VP Social Applications, ngmoco
- Albert Lai, Co-CEO/Co-Founder, kontagent
- Suhail Doshi, Founder, Mixpanel
Who Should Attend?
If you are a software engineer, programmer, or a project manager, you should most definitely be at Social Developer Summit. If you are a company that’s just entering the social media space and looking to learn some of the best development strategies being implemented by some of the top companies in the space, you should be at the event. If you can’t attend, send your developers so that they can participate in the knowledge sharing experience!
If you want to learn more about the event, visit the Social Developer Summit website. The program will feature individual presenters offering case studies and actual hands-on technical tutorials to explain how some of the companies are overcoming specific technical hurdles.