- The JVM acts as a convergence platform for these languages:
- Scala - ideal for writing performance-sensitive components that need the safety and expressiveness of the language's advanced type system.
- Clojure - rapidly prototype in a more dynamic language while still offering the benefits of functional programming.
- JRuby - makes available a bunch of great libraries and frameworks for doing frontend web development, like Rails and Padrino.
- Data Storage: Experimenting with Postgres 9.0 and Riak.
- Platform: Amazon EC2
Your typical web startup isn't using Scala, Clojure, and JRuby. Should you? If you are looking for a push to try something a little different, this may be it. After all, using different languages for different purposes makes as much sense as using different databases for different purposes.
- Node and Scaling in the Small vs Scaling in the Large by Alex Payne
- Alex Payne interviewed at OSCON 2010.
- The Bucks Stop Here by Melissa Silmore