Sponsored Post: Karmasphere, Kabam, Opera Solutions, Percona, Appirio, Newrelic, Cloudkick, Membase, EA, Joyent, CloudSigma, ManageEngine, Site24x7
- Kabam is looking for a Quantitative Analyst and a Senior Data Engineer to join the Business Intelligence group at our social gaming startup.
- Opera Solutions is looking for Senior Software Engineers to work with Big Data analytics, Hadoop, Python, and Java for a rapidly growing analytics firm.
- Appirio is hiring 5 core product engineers for one of Silicon's Valley's "most promising startups".
Fun and Informative Events
- Percona Live to be held in San Francisco February 16th, 2011. A one day event run by the experts behind the MySQL Performance Blog.
- A new round of Membase meetups have been planned for January 2011 for San Diego, Denver, Seattle, Vancouver and Chicago.
Cool Products and Services
- Karmasphere is bringing Apache Hadoop power to developers and analysts. Download your Free Community Edition today!
- Newrelic - What are you doing to ensure the performance of your apps?
- Cloudkick - monitor & manage your servers better with a FREE Cloudkick developer account.
- Learn how two game developers prepared for rapid user growth in this recorded Joyent webinar: http://bit.ly/hzBoib.
- CloudSigma. Instantly scalable European cloud servers.
- ManageEngine Applications Manager : Monitor physical, virtual and Cloud Applications.
- www.site24x7.com : Monitor End User Experience from a global monitoring network.
Karmasphere is Bringing Apache Hadoop Power to Developers and Analysts
Karmasphere enables companies to unlock the competitive advantages within their large datasets by providing an easy-to-use class of client-side software. Karmasphere's products feature independence across any Hadoop environment, easy one-click deployment across any cloud/cluster, and a rich and friendly user-interface to maximize productivity, discovery and insight.
Karmasphere currently offers three products:
- Karmasphere Studio Community Edition: For developers new to Hadoop, the free Community Edition is a graphical environment to learn, prototype, develop and debug MapReduce Jobs on the desktop or a research and development cluster.
- Karmasphere Studio Professional Edition: For developers ready to deploy their MapReduce jobs on a production cluster, the Studio Professional Edition adds one button packaging and exporting to on-premise and cloud clusters, and provides ongoing profiling of the jobs to help with optimization and further debugging.
- Karmasphere Analyst: For everyone needing to explore data in Hadoop, Karmasphere Analyst provides a graphical environment to develop, debug and deploy SQL for Hadoop, and then explore the results in a tabular format or the visualization tool of their choice.
Download your Free Community Edition today!
Kabam is looking for a Quantitative Analyst and a Senior Data Engineer
Kabam is looking for a Quantitative Analyst and a Senior Data Engineer to join the Business Intelligence group at our social gaming startup. We are profitable, well-funded (backed by top-tier VCs) and offer a competitive salary, equity participation and benefits.
Kabam, formerly known as Watercooler Inc,. got its start building TV and sports fan community sites, and recently turned our attention to creating innovative, engaging social games. Our first title, Kingdoms of Camelot, has garnered top ratings (IGN Reader's Choice Facebook Game of 2010) and has a strong (and growing) following on Facebook. Several yet to be announced titles are poised to continue that success.
Kabam just recently announced closing their series C round of funding ($30M); http://mashable.com/2011/01/20/kabam
The Quantitative Analyst plays a key role in one of the most strategic areas of the company. You will work across the company to identify and answer on-going and ad-hoc key business questions to support data driven decision making, as well as conduct proactive analyses to develop new insights. Responsibilities include:
* Support ad-hoc requests for in-depth analysis across the company
* Build and maintain complex forecasting and game play models
* Define requirements and work with engineering team to build and maintain dashboards
* Conduct deep analysis on web analytics
* Conduct proactive deep analysis and modeling to uncover hidden opportunities
Senior Data Engineer
The Data Engineer is responsible for working with large data sets and building expert systems that help track the business performance, and more importantly game metrics for millions of gamers. This effort includes working with quantitative analysts to extract, transform, and analyze large data sets. It also includes building front-end applications to track metrics and display analysis results intelligently.
You may also be asked to automate and scale custom analyses. You will manage fast changing business priorities and interface effectively with marketing, finance, product managers and engineers.
You will also:
* Extract and process large, complex data sets
* Build and maintain customer datamart
* Automate statistical analyses
* Build dashboards to track metrics
* Work with distributed computing and data storage systems like Hadoop/Hive
* Clearly communicate highly technical results and methods.
Interested applicants should go to http://www.kabam.com/corporate/jobs/ for more info and to apply.
Opera Solutions is looking for Senior Software Engineers to work with Big Data analytics
- You are a ROCKSTAR developer and want to work with other ROCKSTARS.
- A technology generalist rather than a specialist. You should show a genuine interest in a broad range of current technologies including databases, languages, architecture, patterns, methods (e.g., Agile) and frameworks. You should have side projects or contributions to open source projects. Software development is something you are genuinely interested in, not just something you do at the office. Picking up a new language takes just a few weeks because you already know a handful.
- Well-versed in the fundamentals of software engineering and computer science. Need to reason about computational complexity of algorithms, options for improving efficiency. You know more design patterns than are in the GoF book.
- A high degree of mathematical fluency. You will not be developing the algorithms but you will need to understand them to code them correctly. This could be demonstrated by strong undergraduate study of math, use of math on the job (e.g., at engineering firms), or application of math in your graduate studies.
- Ability to work collaboratively within your team and alongside quants who have developed algorithms that you will be productionizing.
- The right balance of pragmatism and idealism. Some things really must be done right the first time, other things can be kluged for a while and fixed later. You should know how to reason about this and discuss with your team.
Percona Live to be held in San Francisco February 16th, 2011
Live is a one day conference that takes a look at the new options that are available beyond MySQL 5.1. MySQL 5.5 has now officially been released as stable; Percona Server offers a range of performance and diagnostic enhancements, and MariaDB is adding more features with the help of the community. How will these new releases benefit you, and what does the upgrade process look like? We invite you to join us on 16th February to find out more information.
In addition to hosting Percona Live, Percona offers consulting, support, training and custom development for MySQL. Facebook recently cited them a number of times in their recent teck talk on MySQL - and we've also mentioned their blog on highscalability.com .
Newrelic - What are you doing to to ensure the performance of your apps?
These days, "app" has become a household word and companies are banging them out faster than you can say "friend me." But high productivity/high output however, does not necessarily mean excellent application scalability and performance. With the right tools in place, any organization can deploy highly scalable apps that meet end-user demands-- and business goals. More than 6,000 organizations around the world use New Relic RPM, a SaaS-based application performance management tool that lets developers monitor, troubleshoot and tune live production web apps. With support for Ruby, PHP, .NET and Java, you can start seeing in-depth performance metrics for your web applications in 2 minutes. Check out our blog to see how companies like Groupon manages to scale their ever-growing service with RPM. Better yet, just sign up for a free account today to start chipping away at bottlenecks and scale, scale, scale.
If you're passionate about scaling polyglot systems (a few hundred thousand requests per minute) and helping others manage system scalability, we've got a few job openings too. Check us out! Your app could be faster, and you know it!
At Appirio We're hiring our next 5 core product engineers for one of Silicon's Valley's "mostpromising startups"
Appirio is looking for a handful of hardcore engineers to help us build products to accelerate enterprise adoption of the cloud. We're building the industry's first "cloud broker" technology that will bring together an enterprise's SaaS silos by providing cross-cloud identity, security, data integration, and solution frameworks... all delivered as a service.
Sound interesting? We think so-- we're a Sequoia-backed, Silicon Valley startup, with a small core engineering team passionate about shaping how companies make this once-in-a-generation shift to a cloud-based enterprise architecture.
Appirio is looking for killer engineers who have experience with middleware and web solutions and want to change the way enterprises use these technologies to create solutions in a cloud world. It’ s a fast-moving environment that puts your work in the middle of the cloud revolution.
Specific Duties Include:
- Own and develop core components in Appirio CloudWorks
- Develop and work on approaches to topics like security, performance, scalability, and manageability
- Code primarily in Java
- Work with Spring DM (Eclipse Virgo), Spring Integration Framework and other open source middleware components
- Support the work of solutions teams who are building on top of your CloudWorks core components
To learn more about this opportunity and others see: http://www.appirio.com/company/cloudworks-jobs.php
A New Round of Membase Meetups for January 2011
- Membase Overview
- Use Cases and Customer Examples
- Membase Architecture
- Membase Demo
- Developing with Membase - Key-Value Basics
- Developing with Membase - NodeCode Modules
Monitor and Manage Your Servers Better with Cloudkick
Monitor & manage your servers better with a FREE Cloudkick developer account. Try all Cloudkick’s tools on a single node for as long as you want; no commitment and no charge.
- Easy-to-use dashboard or API access
- Aggregate data to see trends on slick graphs
- Change logs with notation on graphs
- Custom alerts and fault detection that only the big guys have
- Compare your performance to thousands of other public cloud servers
- Seamless upgrade later if you are ready for our premium plan
For more information please see https://www.cloudkick.com/developers
See how Joyent's Cloud Solutions Support Game Studios from Game Concept to Launch
Casual and social game developers and publishers quickly move up the AppData and iTunes leaderboards with gains in daily active users (DAU) and monthly active users (MAU) when running on Joyent’s public cloud.
Unlike traditional console games, online games must readily handle millions of users without disruption of play. You need to rapidly provision, deploy, and scale up and down your high availability environments when your games are under dynamic load. To be really successful, you want an experienced partner that understands your technology stack and is responsive to your needs.
Joyent’s suite of three cost effective game solutions and customer support services collectively act as your operations staff while you focus on what you do best – create rich user experiences across levels of play.
- Instantly Scalable European Cloud Servers. Create virtual servers in the cloud that are fully scalable and adaptive. Control your servers via our web console or API. CloudSigma gives more power and control over your server infrastructure.
- Keep control, increase scalability. Subscribe for capacity or pay as you go; with CloudSigma we give you the power and control you need.
- Competitive Innovative Pricing. Discover transparent pricing and a flexible billing model. Purchase what you need when you need it without resource bundling. We let you purchase CPU, RAM, Storage and bandwidth independently. Create your perfect combination that’s right for you.
- 14-day Free Trial. Try our cloud computing products free.
More information at CloudSigma.
ManageEngine Applications Manager
ManageEngine provides Enterprise IT Management suite of products. ManageEngine Applications Manager helps SaaS companies monitor their production applications and helps keep costs low.
There is out-of-the-box support for monitoring application servers, database servers, servers and web servers from a single web console. In addition to support for IBM Applications, Oracle Apps and Microsoft applications, there is deep support for Open Source Applications like JBoss, Memcached, LAMP stack etc. Pricing starts at $795 for monitoring 25 servers or applications. Learn more about the Application Performance Monitoring tool.
Site24x7.com (from ZOHO) is a Website and Web Application Monitoring service. It helps you ensure your shopping carts and other web transactions work. It also helps you monitor the performance of your websites from a global point of presence. You can Sign Up for a Free Trial. The Professional Edition starts at $1 / Month. Learn more about the Website Monitoring Service.
If you are interested in a sponsored post for an event, job, or product, please take a look at the advertising section.