Sponsored Post: Couchbase, Tokutek, Logentries, Booking, Apple, MongoDB, BlueStripe, AiScaler, Aerospike, LogicMonitor, AppDynamics, ManageEngine, Site24x7
- Apple is hiring for multiple positions. Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly.
- Sr Software Engineer. The Emerging Technology team is looking for a highly motivated, detail-oriented, energetic individual with experience in a variety of big data technologies. You will be part of a fast growing, cohesive team with many exciting responsibilities related to Big Data. Please apply here.
- C++ Senior Developer and Architect- Maps. The Maps Team is looking for a senior developer and architect to support and grow some of the core backend services that support Apple Map's Front End Services. Please apply here.
- Senior Engineer. We are looking for a team player with focus on designing and developing WWDR’s web-based applications. The successful candidate must have the ability to take minimal business requirements and work pro-actively with cross functional teams to obtain clear objectives that drive projects forward to completion. Please apply here.
- Software Engineer. We are looking for a team player with focus on designing and developing WWDR’s web-based applications. The successful candidate must have the ability to take minimal business requirements and work pro-actively with cross functional teams to obtain clear objectives that drive projects forward to completion. Please apply here.
- Quality Assurance Engineer. The iOS Systems team is looking for a Quality Assurance engineer. In this role you will be expected to work hand-in-hand with the software engineering team to find and diagnose software defects. Please apply here.
- We need awesome people @ Booking.com - We want YOU! Come design next
generation interfaces, solve critical scalability problems, and hack on one of the largest Perl codebases. Apply: http://www.booking.com/jobs.en-us.html
- UI Engineer– AppDynamics, founded in 2008 and lead by proven innovators, is looking for a passionate UI Engineer to design, architect, and develop our their user interface using the latest web and mobile technologies. Make the impossible possible and the hard easy. Apply here.
- Software Engineer - Infrastructure & Big Data – AppDynamics, leader in next generation solutions for managing modern, distributed, and extremely complex applications residing in both the cloud and the data center, is looking for a Software Engineers (All-Levels) to design and develop scalable software written in Java and MySQL for backend component of software that manages application architectures. Apply here.
Fun and Informative Events
- Which MongoDB Distribution Should You Use? AOL Benchmark Results - TokuMX vs. MongoDB. March 5th at 1pm ET. It may be easy to choose a NoSQL database, but do you know which distribution is best for you? Which will perform better? Which will scale further? Look before you leap. Register now.
- Aerospike Webinar: “Getting the Most out of Your Flash/SSDs”. Tune in to Aerospike's latest webinar, “Getting the Most Out of your Flash/SSDs” at 10am PST Tuesday, Feb. 18 to learn how to select, test and prepare your drives for maximum database performance. Register now.
Cool Products and Services
- As one of the fastest growing VoIP services in the world Viber has replaced MongoDB with Couchbase Server, supporting 100,000+ operations per second in the short term and 1,000,000+ operations per second in the long term for their third generation architecture. See the full story on the Viber switch.
- Log management made easy with Logentries. Billions of log events analyzed every day to unlock insights from the log data the matters to you. Simply powerful search, tagging, alerts, live tail and more for all of your log data. Automated AWS log collection and analytics, including CloudWatch events.
- LogicMonitor is the cloud-based IT performance monitoring solution that enables companies to easily and cost-effectively monitor their entire IT infrastructure stack – storage, servers, networks, applications, virtualization, and websites – from the cloud. No firewall changes needed - start monitoring in only 15 minutes utilizing customized dashboards, trending graphs & alerting.
- MongoDB Backup Free Usage Tier Announced. We're pleased to introduce the free usage tier to MongoDB Management Service (MMS). MMS Backup provides point-in-time recovery for replica sets and consistent snapshots for sharded systems with minimal performance impact. Start backing up today at mms.mongodb.com.
- BlueStripe FactFinder Express is the ultimate tool for server monitoring and solving performance problems. Monitor URL response times and see if the problem is the application, a back-end call, a disk, or OS resources.
- aiScaler, aiProtect, aiMobile Application Delivery Controller with integrated Dynamic Site Acceleration, Denial of Service Protection and Mobile Content Management. Cloud deployable. Free instant trial, no sign-up required. http://aiscaler.com/
- ManageEngine Applications Manager : Monitor physical, virtual and Cloud Applications.
- www.site24x7.com : Monitor End User Experience from a global monitoring network.
If any of these items interest you there's a full description of each sponsor below. Please click to read more...
Viber has replaced MongoDB with Couchbase Server
As one of the fastest growing VoIP services in the world, the challenge at Viber, their second-generation architecture was built on top of MongoDB shards. Next, Redis was added as a cache on top of the MongoDB shards to increase throughput. Still, MongoDB was unable to meet the high throughput requirements. Finally, a second Redis cluster was added independent of the MongoDB shards. The second-generation architecture was compromised of 150 MongoDB nodes and over 100 Redis nodes.
The third-generation architecture had to support 100,000+ operations per second in the short term and 1,000,000+ operations per second in the long term. Viber chose to build their third-generation architecture on top of Couchbase Server. The third-generation architecture is compromised of 100 to 120 Couchbase Server nodes.
Viber has been able to reduce the number of database nodes required while increasing the throughput with their third-generation architecture. For example, one of their Couchbase clusters (a ten node cluster) handles 100,000 to 200,000 operations per second with over 4.5 terabytes of data.
We need awesome people @ Booking.com - We want YOU!
The colors of the buttons matter. The speed of your queries matter. The run time of your request matters. And you want to measure it all. We want exceptional people like you to come design next generation interfaces, solve critical scalability problems, and hack on one of the largest Perl codebases in the world.
Our diverse, international team of UX Designers, System Administrators and Perl Hackers here in Amsterdam, Netherlands needs your talents. Booking.com will offer you a competitive salary with bonuses, extensive relocation package and great opportunities for career progression within our fast growing company.
Apply online: http://www.booking.com/jobs.en-us.html?st=list
MongoDB Backup Free Usage Tier Announced
We're pleased to introduce the free usage tier to MongoDB Management Service (MMS). MMS provides free monitoring and premium backup for MongoDB.
What is MMS Backup? MMS Backup provides point-in-time recovery for replica sets and consistent snapshots for sharded systems with minimal performance impact. The backup agent continually reads the oplog and securely transfers the data to MMS so you always have an up-to-date backup.
What is the free tier? During your first 12 months using the service, any monthly bill under $5 is on us. What does $5 get you? It’s roughly enough to back up a 5GB database with 100MB of oplog data per month.
What is it for? You can use the free tier to sample backup for larger, mission critical applications. You can also use MMS during development before your data set grows. And the tier is perfect for side projects that you want to safeguard but don’t have the time to invest in building a backup strategy.
Start backing up today at mms.mongodb.com.
AppDynamics now offers a trial of its fully-featured application performance management product
AppDynamics offers an easy-to-use application performance monitoring solution for Java, .NET and PHP applications running in a live production environment. Companies like Netflix, Orbitz and Edmunds.com use AppDynamics to rapidly identify & troubleshoot root cause in their large, distributed applications.
Try AppDynamics for free with AppDynamics Lite, a free troubleshooting tool for Java & .NET apps, or a free trial of AppDynamics Pro, their fully-featured application performance management solution. Both Lite and a trial version of Pro are available for download from appdynamics.com and take only a few minutes to install. Get the free trial.
Aerospike Webinar: “Getting the Most out of Your Flash/SSDs”
Tune in to Aerospike's latest webinar, “Getting the Most Out of your Flash/SSDs” at 10am PST Tuesday, Feb. 18 to learn how to select, test and prepare your drives for maximum database performance.
Test aiCache acceleration for free. No sign-up required.
We have set up aiCache on the Amazon Ec2 cloud to allow you to accelerate your website, test it, and optionally deploy in about 10 minutes. No sign-up required and its free.
You give us your website address and we spin up an AWS Micro instance running aiCache configured for your site. We then give you a simple configuration tool, if you want to further tune the Dynamic Caching.
You can then test your regular site and the accelerated site side by side in real time, from a third party testing service, complete with waterfall chart to tell you what is slow. With a few clicks you can tune the Dynamic Caching and re-run the test till you get the optimal config, unique to your site.
Want to deploy it? Great put in the AWS instance ID and Key and we will push it to your choice of live server.
Got everything perfect? Update your DNS or pull a copy to your datacenter.
Want help? We can have one of our engineers hop on and joint edit the config file with you, to work through tricky SSL and Session authentication. A do it yourself kinda engineer? Great context sensitive help is available of every line of the config file.
Want to save it for later, no problem. Want to download it for use on your own box, clicky-clicky free.
See the power of aiCache on your time without being bugged. http://aiscaler.com/deploy
LogicMonitor is the Cloud-based IT Performance Monitoring Solution
LogicMonitor is the cloud-based IT performance monitoring solution that enables companies to easily and cost-effectively monitor their entire IT infrastructure stack – storage, servers, networks, applications, virtualization, and websites – from the cloud. No firewall changes needed - start monitoring in only 15 minutes utilizing customized dashboards, trending graphs & alerting.
AppDynamics Troubleshooting Java Performance for Free
AppDynamics is the very first free product designed for troubleshooting Java performance while getting full visibility in production environments. If you're an application owner and need to ensure high availability and performance--but not ready to purchase a full monitoring tool--AppDynamics Lite is build for you. Install in two minutes; be monitoring a Java Virtual Machine in 10 minutes.
ManageEngine Applications Manager
ManageEngine provides Enterprise IT Management suite of products. ManageEngine Applications Manager helps SaaS companies monitor their production applications and helps keep costs low.
There is out-of-the-box support for monitoring application servers, database servers, servers and web servers from a single web console. In addition to support for IBM Applications, Oracle Apps and Microsoft applications, there is deep support for Open Source Applications like JBoss, Memcached, LAMP stack etc. Pricing starts at $795 for monitoring 25 servers or applications. Learn more about the Application Performance Monitoring tool.
Site24x7.com (from ZOHO) is a Website and Web Application Monitoring service. It helps you ensure your shopping carts and other web transactions work. It also helps you monitor the performance of your websites from a global point of presence. You can Sign Up for a Free Trial. The Professional Edition starts at $1 / Month. Learn more about the Website Monitoring Service.
If you are interested in a sponsored post for an event, job, or product, please take a look at the advertising section .