Sponsored Post: OpenDNS, MongoDB, Internap, Aerospike, SignalFx, InMemory.Net, Couchbase, VividCortex, MemSQL, Scalyr, AiScaler, AppDynamics, ManageEngine, Site24x7
- The Cloud Platform team at OpenDNS is building a PaaS for our engineering teams to build and deliver their applications. This is a well rounded team covering software, systems, and network engineering and expect your code to cut across all layers, from the network to the application. Learn More
- At Scalyr, we're analyzing multi-gigabyte server logs in a fraction of a second. That requires serious innovation in every part of the technology stack, from frontend to backend. Help us push the envelope on low-latency browser applications, high-speed data processing, and reliable distributed systems. Help extract meaningful data from live servers and present it to users in meaningful ways. At Scalyr, you’ll learn new things, and invent a few of your own. Learn more and apply.
- UI Engineer– AppDynamics, founded in 2008 and lead by proven innovators, is looking for a passionate UI Engineer to design, architect, and develop our their user interface using the latest web and mobile technologies. Make the impossible possible and the hard easy. Apply here.
- Software Engineer - Infrastructure & Big Data – AppDynamics, leader in next generation solutions for managing modern, distributed, and extremely complex applications residing in both the cloud and the data center, is looking for a Software Engineers (All-Levels) to design and develop scalable software written in Java and MySQL for backend component of software that manages application architectures. Apply here.
Fun and Informative Events
- How to Get a Game-Changing Performance Advantage with Intel SSDs and Aerospike. Presenter: Frank Ober, Data Center Solution Architect at Intel Corporation. Wednesday, May 13, 2015 @ 10:00AM PST, 1:00PM PST. Learn how to maximize the price/performance of your Intel Solid-State Drives (SSDs) with Aerospike. Frank Ober of Intel’s Solutions Group will review how he achieved 1+ million transactions per second on a single dual socket Xeon Server with SSDs using the open source tools of Aerospike for benchmarking. Register Now.
- MongoDB World brings together over 2,000 developers, sysadmins, and DBAs in New York City on June 1-2 to get inspired, share ideas and get the latest insights on using MongoDB. Organizations like Salesforce, Bosch, the Knot, Chico’s, and more are taking advantage of MongoDB for a variety of ground-breaking use cases. Find out more at http://mongodbworld.com/ but hurry! Super Early Bird pricing ends on April 3.
Cool Products and Services
- SQL for Big Data: Price-performance Advantages of Bare Metal. When building your big data infrastructure, price-performance is a critical factor to evaluate. Data-intensive workloads with the capacity to rapidly scale to hundreds of servers can escalate costs beyond your expectations. The inevitable growth of the Internet of Things (IoT) and fast big data will only lead to larger datasets, and a high-performance infrastructure and database platform will be essential to extracting business value while keeping costs under control. Read more.
- SignalFx: just launched an advanced monitoring platform for modern applications that's already processing 10s of billions of data points per day. SignalFx lets you create custom analytics pipelines on metrics data collected from thousands or more sources to create meaningful aggregations--such as percentiles, moving averages and growth rates--within seconds of receiving data. Start a free 30-day trial!
- InMemory.Net provides a Dot Net native in memory database for analysing large amounts of data. It runs natively on .Net, and provides a native .Net, COM & ODBC apis for integration. It also has an easy to use language for importing data, and supports standard SQL for querying data. http://InMemory.Net
- Benchmark: MongoDB 3.0 (w/ WiredTiger) vs. Couchbase 3.0.2. Even after the competition's latest update, are they more tired than wired? Get the Report.
- VividCortex goes beyond monitoring and measures the system's work on your MySQL and PostgreSQL servers, providing unparalleled insight and query-level analysis. This unique approach ultimately enables your team to work more effectively, ship more often, and delight more customers.
- MemSQL provides a distributed in-memory database for high value data. It's designed to handle extreme data ingest and store the data for real-time, streaming and historical analysis using SQL. MemSQL also cost effectively supports both application and ad-hoc queries concurrently across all data. Start a free 30 day trial here: http://www.memsql.com/
- aiScaler, aiProtect, aiMobile Application Delivery Controller with integrated Dynamic Site Acceleration, Denial of Service Protection and Mobile Content Management. Also available on Amazon Web Services. Free instant trial, 2 hours of FREE deployment support, no sign-up required. http://aiscaler.com
- ManageEngine Applications Manager : Monitor physical, virtual and Cloud Applications.
- www.site24x7.com : Monitor End User Experience from a global monitoring network.
If any of these items interest you there's a full description of each sponsor below. Please click to read more...
OpenDNS is Hiring
OpenDNS is a leading provider of network security and DNS services, enabling the world to connect to the Internet with confidence on any device, anywhere, anytime. Our predictive intelligence engine uses machine learning to automate protection against newly-discovered threats before they can reach our customers. Today, OpenDNS handles more than 70 billion daily Internet requests from over 70 million users around the world.
The Cloud Platform team is building a PaaS for our engineering teams to build and deliver their applications. This is a well rounded team covering software, systems, and network engineering and expect your code to cut across all layers, from the network to the application.
Did we mention the perks? Our offices are located just a block away from Caltrain and MUNI in the thriving tech hub of SOMA, San Francisco. OpenDNS employees are surrounded by like-minded people and work within walking distance of many of the city’s most popular restaurants and cafes. Our newly-redesigned office contains open spaces for groups collaboration, the latest tech tools and toys and a fully stocked kitchen to help you recharge. Come work with us, and be part of the team that’s revolutionizing Internet security.
SignalFx - A Modern Monitoring Platform Built on Streaming Analytics
SignalFx - A Modern Monitoring Platform Built on Streaming Analytics
Built after real world experience running apps at massive scale with 100s of 1000s of systems. SignalFx can take all your metrics and events, at frequencies up to every second and at any scale. SignalFx takes care of the infrastructure and plumbing to process, store, and run analytics against that data in real time.
The SignalFlow analytics engine lets you apply custom analytics pipeline to the data as it comes in, including functions like sums, percentiles, moving averages, and standard deviations. The output of analytics pipelines is within seconds of the raw data and can be compared against historical data and analytics side by side.
SignalFx can handle multidimensional metrics and any additional metadata you need to model, filter, group by, and aggregate metrics.
Use collectd, StatsD, DropWizard Metrics, any other open source metrics collection tools, or use SignalFx's open source client libraries to instrument your code and send metrics. SignalFx also provides an open source proxy to drop into existing metrics environments. Learn More.
Benchmark: MongoDB 3.0 (w/ WiredTiger) vs. Couchbase 3.0.2
MongoDB 3.0 includes WiredTiger, an optional storage engine, to address performance issues. It’s better than the default storage engine, but how well does it improve MongoDB performance? Avalon Consulting, LLC, big data experts and thought leaders in emerging technologies, benchmarked MongoDB 3.0 with WiredTiger and Couchbase Server 3.0.2 to find out. The bottom line: Couchbase outperformed MongoDB by a factor ranging from 2x to 4.5x.
The benchmark tested how well MongoDB with WiredTiger and Couchbase Server performed with:
- A mixed read / write workload
- Almost a terabyte of data
- Insufficient memory to cache all the data (only 31% in memory)
- Increasing number of concurrent users
The full report includes complete configuration details and results of all 60+ tests. Get the report.
VividCortex - The Best Way To See What Your Production Database Systems Are Doing
The database is the heart of most applications, but it’s also the part that’s hardest to scale, manage, and optimize even as it’s growing 50% year over year. VividCortex has developed a suite of unique technologies that significantly eases this pain for your entire IT department. Unlike traditional monitoring, we measure and analyze the system’s work and resource consumption.
VividCortex is a hosted (SaaS) database performance management platform that provides unparalleled insight and query-level analysis for both MySQL and PostgreSQL servers at micro-second detail. It's not just another tool to draw time-series charts from status counters. It's deep analysis of every metric, every process, and every query on your systems, stitched together with statistics and data visualization.
Our approach enables you to eliminate bottlenecks, cut downtime and boost performance and reliability, improve server utilization and do more with less hardware. This leads directly to better performance for IT as a whole at reduced cost and effort. Start a free trial today with our famous 15-second installation.
Scalyr -- The Solution to Your Operational Diagnostics Woes
You're running multiple systems on multiple servers. "ssh into the server and tail the log" is no longer a viable strategy for investigating problems. Old school graphing, alerting, and log-grep tools give you too little visibility for too much effort.
Scalyr is your universal tool for visibility into your production systems, providing centralized log management, server metrics, monitoring, alerting, dashboards, log parsing, and more. Don't be limited by the narrow capabilities of traditional tools. All of your operational data -- logs, metrics, and more -- in one place, where you can explore, filter, and analyze at interactive speeds. Enterprise-grade functionality with sane pricing and insane performance. View the feature list to learn more.
Test aiCache acceleration for free. No sign-up required.
We have set up aiCache on the Amazon Ec2 cloud to allow you to accelerate your website, test it, and optionally deploy in about 10 minutes. No sign-up required and its free.
You give us your website address and we spin up an AWS Micro instance running aiCache configured for your site. We then give you a simple configuration tool, if you want to further tune the Dynamic Caching.
You can then test your regular site and the accelerated site side by side in real time, from a third party testing service, complete with waterfall chart to tell you what is slow. With a few clicks you can tune the Dynamic Caching and re-run the test till you get the optimal config, unique to your site.
Want to deploy it? Great put in the AWS instance ID and Key and we will push it to your choice of live server.
Got everything perfect? Update your DNS or pull a copy to your datacenter.
Want help? We can have one of our engineers hop on and joint edit the config file with you, to work through tricky SSL and Session authentication. A do it yourself kinda engineer? Great context sensitive help is available of every line of the config file.
Want to save it for later, no problem. Want to download it for use on your own box, clicky-clicky free.
AppDynamics Troubleshooting Java Performance for Free
AppDynamics is the very first free product designed for troubleshooting Java performance while getting full visibility in production environments. If you're an application owner and need to ensure high availability and performance--but not ready to purchase a full monitoring tool--AppDynamics Lite is build for you. Install in two minutes; be monitoring a Java Virtual Machine in 10 minutes.
ManageEngine Applications Manager
ManageEngine provides Enterprise IT Management suite of products. ManageEngine Applications Manager helps SaaS companies monitor their production applications and helps keep costs low.
There is out-of-the-box support for monitoring application servers, database servers, servers and web servers from a single web console. In addition to support for IBM Applications, Oracle Apps and Microsoft applications, there is deep support for Open Source Applications like JBoss, Memcached, LAMP stack etc. Pricing starts at $795 for monitoring 25 servers or applications. Learn more about the Application Performance Monitoring tool.
Site24x7.com (from ZOHO) is a Website and Web Application Monitoring service. It helps you ensure your shopping carts and other web transactions work. It also helps you monitor the performance of your websites from a global point of presence. You can Sign Up for a Free Trial. The Professional Edition starts at $1 / Month. Learn more about the Website Monitoring Service.
If you are interested in a sponsored post for an event, job, or product, please contact us for more information.